Soon our cities will be occupied by robots, drones and autonomous cars. Machines that we are used to see in movies are slowly emerging in our daily lives. However, many technical problems still stand in the way of this technological evolution. Mainly in what concerns its main source of power: the lithium polymer battery.
This technology is commonly used to power systems that consumes a lot of energy in a short period of time. Because of its fast discharging rates, makers and pilots pile up a lot of batteries in order to complete missions (e.g.: a regular drone operator will carry on average 16 batteries in order to complete a 4 hours flight). Imagine the hassle that a small drone enterprise operating 5 drones should go through to manage those batteries:
· Knowing which batteries are drained
· Knowing which batteries are damaged
· Knowing the time a given battery will last
· Knowing the time required to charge a battery
· Charging multiple batteries simultaneously (chargers in market charge up to 6 batteries simultaneously maximum)
· Monitoring the charging status when the user is not nearby
After going through 4 years of research and experimentation, we came up with eX-1: a “black box” that plugs directly to the battery and connects to either the electronics of the system (Electronic Speed Controllers, flight controller, etc.) or the LiPo battery charger. This extension along with our mobile apps and web platform will provide the following features:
· Battery Management: manage batteries according to projects/missions, estimate how many batteries are needed for a given project and plan ahead of time your mission.
· Detailed battery analysis and prediction: check each battery’s performance, know when to replace your battery and predict charging/discharging time for a given load and the maintenance costs.
· Safe multiple battery charging: attach multiple batteries to eX-1 (our product will have either 1, 2 or 4 input battery slots) and charge them simultaneously by connecting them to one charger. Also, monitor your batteries from distance, and reduce the risks and cost (time is money!).